How to get Services in Bucks County


If you are experiencing a Mental Health Crisis, call  215-785-9765. Crisis services are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

If you have been diagnosed with serious mental illness or believe you have mental illness and you don't have insurance and are not eligible or don't know if you are eligible for HealthChoices, call the location below that is nearest your home for an intake appointment.

Upper Bucks Area Penn Foundation
807 Lawn Avenue
Sellersville, PA 18960
Central Bucks Area Lenape Valley Foundation
500 N West Street
Doylestown, PA 18901
Lower Bucks Area Penndel Mental Health Center
1517 Durham Road
Penndel, PA 19047

Depending on your financial resources and/or insurance coverage there are many ways to find the type of service that you need. If you have a private health plan that covers these services, contact your health plan administrator. If you are a Magellan Behavioral Healthcare of PA member (HealthChoices) call Magellan Behavioral Healthcare of PA Member Hotline (24 hours, seven days a week):

    1-877-769-9784 (24 hours toll-free)
    1-877-769-9785 (TTY and toll-free)

Any Bucks County resident who is Medical Assistance-eligible may call the toll-free number for assistance and referral for mental health issues. Professional staff will answer your call, help you through a crisis, or provide referrals to community-based treatment centers, if there is a need.

Mental Health services offered by Bucks County are offered by contracted provider agencies. These providers usually accept HealthChoices, Medicare, and other insurance. A sliding scale is available for those with no insurance.


In the case of a medical emergency, call 911 or go to the nearest hospital emergency room.

Si usted no habla ingles, por favor llame nuestra oficina de Servicios Sociales 215-788-8172 para informacion sobre una evaluacion y tratamiento.

If you don't have insurance and are not eligible for Medicaid HealthChoices (Magellan) you may qualify for county funding through the Bucks County Drug and Alcohol Commission Inc. You can call one of the following agencies for help in determining if you are eligible for these funds.

Please note that preference for access to an assessment and for treatment occurs in this order: Pregnant, intravenous drug users; Pregnant Illicit-drug Users; Intravenous Drug Users; All Other Drug Users. (Note: 'Drug use' includes alcohol and tobacco)

Upper Bucks Penn Foundation Inc.
The Recovery Center
807 Lawn Avenue
Sellersville, PA 18960
Central Bucks Aldie Foundation Inc.
11 Welden Drive,
Doylestown, PA. 18901
Lower Bucks Aldie Foundation Inc.
2291 Cabot Boulevard West
Langhorne, PA 19047
  TODAY Inc. (Adolescents)
P.O. Box 908
Newtown, PA
  Family Services Association of
Bucks County

(Co-Occurring -
mental health and substance
abuse issues occurring together)
One Oxford Valley, Suite 717
Langhorne, PA 19047
For General Information about Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drugs, Formal Interventions, Insurance Coverage Requirements, Driving Under the Influence issues, Assessments, Twelve-Step Meetings:
  The Council of Southeast Pennsylvania
252 West Swamp Road, Unit 12
Doylestown, PA 18901
Call M-F, 9am-5pm


Who is Eligible for ID supports and services?

An individual may be eligible to receive ID supports and services if they have: 

  • A diagnosis of mental retardation prior to the age of 22 with
    • Consistent IQ scores of 70 or below, at least 2 standard deviations below the mean, on standardized psychological evaluations and
    • Have significant limitations in adaptive functioning and
  • Legal resident status in the State of Pennsylvania.

Who do I call for an Intake for Eligibility Determination?

The ID Intake Unit for the Bucks County Department of Mental Health/Developmental Programs can help you and your family member with the eligibility determination process. You can reach the Intake Unit at 215-444-2800.

You will be asked to send the Department a copy of all records documenting diagnosis, such as psychological evaluations, psychiatric evaluations, medical records, and the Individual Education Plan and any school evaluation reports. Please be prepared to provide some general information at the first phone call to initiate the Intake process.

If You Are Likely to be Eligible for ID Services, what happens next?

Following receipt and review of the documentation the ID Intake Coordinator will contact you to arrange an initial intake interview. You and the individual requesting services should come to the intake appointment with the following:

MA /Access card, private insurance card, social security card, birth certificate, legal and financial documents.
The ID Intake Coordinator will gather additional information at the Intake meeting to complete: 

  • A Social Summary
  • Assessment of Need
  • Waiver application
  • Person Centered Planning
  • Choice of Base Service Unit for Supports Coordination

The ID Intake Coordinator will discuss with you your needs and recourses, formal services as well as informal community supports. Based on your selection of a Supports Coordination Entity, the Intake Coordinator will make the appropriate referral. The three Base Service Units in Buck s County that provide ID Supports Coordination are:  Penn Foundation, Lenape Valley Foundation and Penndel Mental Health Center.

If You are not Eligible for ID Services, what happens next?

Following receipt and review of the documentation the ID Intake Coordinator will provide you with information about resources in your community or other systems through which you or your family member may be entitled or eligible for services.


What is Early Intervention?

Early Intervention (EI) consists of services and supports designed to help families with children who have developmental delays. While all children grown and learn at their own rate, some children may experience delays in their development. When there is a concern early intervention provides supports and services to young children and their families/caregivers to help the child grow and develop.

Who is eligible?

Infants, toddlers, and preschool children who have a delay in development or a related diagnosis may be eligible to receive early intervention services.

Children grow, develop and learn in the following ways:

  • Physical development - the ability to move, see and hear
  • Language and speech development - the ability to communicate, understand, express needs and talk
  • Social and emotional development - the ability to relate to others
  • Self help - eating, dressing and the ability to care for oneself
  • Cognitive development - includes the ability to think and learn

For further information on developmental milestones:

Who should families contact to see if their child is eligible for Early Intervention?

A first step for any family with a concern about their child's development is to call CONNECT Services (toll free: 1-800-692-7288) or their local EI Program. The Early Intervention program will determine if the child is eligible for Early Intervention.

Local contact numbers are:

  • Children birth to three years of age - 215-444-2800
  • Children ages three to five years of age - 1-800-770-4822 x1716


If you have concerns about how your infant or toddler is growing and learning, the first step is to call an Early Intervention Service Coordinator at a Base Service Unit in your area. An Early Intervention Coordinator will talk with you about your child and listen to your concerns.  The Early Intervention Coordinator will assist you through the process to determine whether your child is eligible for Early Intervention. 

Please refer to the list below for the Base Service Unit which serves the area in which you reside and contact the corresponding agency:
If you are not sure which Base Service Unit to contact, call the Bucks County Early Intervention Coordinator at 215-444-2847 ext 231.

Penn Foundation
Early Intervention Services
519 South 5th Street, Suite 100
Perkasie, PA 18944
Phone: 267-517-3650

Lenape Valley Foundation
Early Intervention Services
500 North West Street
Doylestown, PA 18901
Phone: 215-345-5300 ext. 5402 or 267-893-5402

Northwestern Human Services
Early Intervention Services
2260 Cabot Blvd West, Suite 100
Langhorne, PA 19047
Phone: 215-752-5760

The Bucks County Intermediate Unit # 22
Early Intervention information and referral on behalf of children age three to five years who live in Bucks County.
Questions or concerns about how a preschool age child, three to five years old is growing and learning or may have special needs should call the Bucks County Intermediate Unit #22, Early Childhood Services Program at 1-800-770-4822, extension 1716. For more information about the BCIU go to, Educational Services, Early Childhood Services.


Driving Walking/Biking Public Transit  Get Directions